Whilst the effectiveness of the process and user interface of the new Human Capital Management (HCM) Systems are impressive there is one area in HR that has been forgotten, and there is little we can do to get away from it. One area I am always busy working on and improving is documentation!
The documentation in HR is kind of insane! There are the: offer letters, contracts, employee data changes where legal documents are required, leavers documentation etc. Each document requires data collection of both what is global and local data. Data that needs to be collected and stored in the Global HR system, and data that is only needed for local systems e.g. for payroll or legal requirements.
Just take Russia where you have for example a Global Workday, but also C1 there are circa 26 additional local data fields to collect for a New Hire to become and employee.
The HCM systems that are being implemented have pros and cons in regards of their ability to deal with global and local data. However, none resolve the documentation challenge. There are two contenders HotDocs and Escriba that integrate well with both SuccessFactors and Workday and resolve the following problem:
- Data reading from systems such as e.g. Taleo, SuccessFactors or Workday
- Collection of global and local data if outside of the system e.g. in recruitment
- Data validation to reduce down stream errors e.g. special characters
- Automate generation of a compliant, consistent and correct document
- Effective dissemination for approval
- Effective retrieval of the document via electronic signature
- Write capability of taking the data collected to the HCM
When you consider the process, also consider the documents. This will be an area of experience and effectiveness that can be greatly improved and more innovation is to come in the future to change the face of HR ;).