Ulrich himself has criticised his Target Operating Model in an outsourced environment, but increasingly the implementation of next generation cloud Human Capital Management Systems are coming unstuck in organisations once implemented. I have just spent the run up to Christmas with 4 organisations who have made the same oversight.
The four roles:
- Strategic Partner
- Change Agent
- Employee Champion
- Administrative Partner
changes the depth and type of roles fulfilled by the different players, arguably there are new roles that I will cover in another blog in the future..
- HR Business Partner
- Centre of Expertise
- HR Operations
- Shared Services
The manager and employee previously did administration and the process was often instigated and facilitated by HR. The automation of the process provides a business case in the reduction of HR's cost to serve, but the balance shifts to the manager with a increase role to play in the instigation and facilitation of HR processes in Workday and SuccessFactors.
The challenge is whilst people management is the role of a manager; HR isn't. In reality what I am seeing on the market is organisations where:
- Managers are stuck but they do not know because HR is not their skill set
- A large amount of pending transactions where managers, employees and other customers are stuck
This can be fixed if the Target Operating Model is designed end to end, with what can pragmatically implemented. Again not consultancy BS, but working with organisations or people with experience of running operations and service.
The HCM systems do not come with the help and support for the manager because they are the User Interfaces (UI) that we expect in our private life, but those UI's also come with digital interaction to support us.
The managers are now able to initiate HR processes, but what they need is well-defined points of contact, and the means to resolve where they have a problem are critical to core HR to be effective and efficient.
What's needed is the well designed Human Interaction Interface the next generation digital contact to support and facilitate the deeper administration role the managers play:
- Global and Local requirements collected in plain English, validated and then automated
- An employee segmented service that provides the right touch support for that segment and the transaction just as in Business to Consumer markets across omni channels
- A virtual agent that knows when support is needed with agile content like you would find in Square Space of Apple
- The ability to speak to a human being and or book an appointment as you do at the Apple genius bar
- Pro active campaigns from HR to improve the people impact on the business
In implementing HCM systems we must not under estimate the fundamental shift we place on managers, and the managers job is not HR.